Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cafe Sketching


I used to hate coffee. I didn't even like coffee ice cream. It's been a long road to get here, but I really enjoy sitting in cafes and sketching with a nice espresso drink (meaning one with sugar and crap added in it). I recently got a recycled paper sketchbook and new prismacolor pencils and try to go out at least once a week to draw. 



I definitely need to work on including more full figures and poses, but I do love a good face. It is especially fun pushing the shapes of profiles - so much negative space to play with in the silhouette.



I find it helpful to look at someone, get an impression of their personality/pose/shape- and then immediately look away. From there I gather what about them I want to share; what is their story, how can I make the shapes more interesting, do they remind me of an animal? I try not to spend too much more time staring at them after that initial impression, partly because I can fall into an old habit of copying exactly what I see, and partly because I do not want to get caught :)


It is also fun to see what you can come up with if you restrict yourself to simple shapes. So many characters are waiting to say hi :)

3 comments:

r said...

Lovely sketches...I love the free lines...and where can I get myself a recycled paper sketchbook?

Kacey said...

Thanks!! I picked up mine at a Utrecht Art Supply Store. It has helped break up the sometimes daunting nature of a blank page, starting with the recycled fiber texture...

Ayumi Sophia said...

Thank you for giving posts and articles were very amazing. I really liked as a part of the article. With a nice and interesting topics. Has helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know. You need more publicize this because many people. Who know about it very few people know this. Success for you....!!!