Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Commissioned Portrait, Jayden




Overcast lighting may at first appear a bit dull to paint, but due to the diffused light source, there is a resulting softness (low contrast and faint/indistinct shadows) while colors appear more saturated, making for nice accents in an overall gray scheme.

As with a few recent commissions, this digital painting was delivered as a hi resolution digital file and then printed on a large canvas at a printer of the owner's choosing. I'd love to see a finished canvas print sometime because everyone who has done this approach has later told me how pleased they were with the result. I think one of the advantages of a large scale print, is that the brushwork and details are more apparent then when printing it really small.

Though it seems people have been happy choosing their own means of printing commissions (it removes shipping and handling costs), I hope to soon offer final archival prints of custom illustrations from my own home to those interested. Until then, if you don't want to worry about finding your own printing service, I have a great local place that I go to, and can add the printing cost + shipping to your final order :) Please don't hesitate to email me if you have any questions!

1 comment: