Saturday, August 15, 2009

Lily's Monster

Two days ago, Pascal Campion pointed us to a blog called "Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty" which is a compilation of art created by the Z-kids; siblings Isaac(10), Gracie(9), Lily(6).

Their father and illustrator, Aaron Zenz, wanted to surprise his kids for their blog's 3 year anniversary by inviting other artists(of all levels) to do a reinterpretation of one of their drawings. I had always wanted to take a child's line drawing and render it using all of the original shapes, so that is the approach I took. I spent a while trying to pick a drawing to recreate, and finally ended up choosing Lily's drawing seen below:

If any one else is interested in participating, Aaron is taking submissions through the end of August and will update with additional pictures as they come in. Congrats to Isaac, Gracie, and Lily on their 250th post today! I look forward to seeing what they each create in the future:)

4 comments:

Z-Kids said...

This was so great -- Thanks Kacey! A really fun take on the image. The kids loved it -- what a wonderful gift to them...

All our best!
- AZ

Kacey said...

Thanks! It was fun to participate:)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

this is so great! Lily's monsters is beautiful if I must say so myself. I thought that this was the sweetest thing for a daddy to do. Your illustration just brings it all to life! I know that they must be so happy. I'm so glad that you participated in this. Your blog is wonderful and when I get breaks and stuff I will be coming on to walk around some more. YOU ARE AMAZNG!!! Thanks for stopping by!

Art Fan Ako said...

Wow! YOu kept it close to the original and made it all shiny slick! Some kid is beaming I'm sure!